Thursday, December 29, 2011

Cyclone Dust Collection System



I've wanted to build a dust collector for my tablesaw that is quiet and doesn't clog. Commercially available dust systems cost a fortune.

The best systems use cyclonic separation. This usually is difficult to fabricate for the DIYer. But I built a cyclone separator and relocated the shop vacuum to the attic of my workshop. It uses common parts that are cheap.


First I had to make an adapter for my tablesaw. It had a 4" port. I made a wooden plate to attach the 2" PVC pipe. This pipe is solvent welded.


The vortex seperator is mounted on the wall and constructed from a 5-gallon plastic pail attached to a metal cone made form HVAC ducting. The input and output pipes are jb-welded into place. A bungee cord holds the bucket it place. When the system is on, there is a tight seal created with the bucket and lid.


 Here is the pipe that connects the separator to the shop ceiling. I used a hole saw to drill this and put a coupler in place in case I wanted to remove the pipe. My ceiling is insulated so I had to drill a hole in the top as well.


To keep things quieter the shop vac (which is extremely loud) is located in my attic. The shop vac is plugged into a switched outlet for simple wall control, and connects to the pipe. This is a 5HP unit (yeah right). So far no dust actually has made it to the shop vac, which is the whole point of the separator.

I spent about $20 on my vortex separator. The PVC parts and hoses cost an additional $50, but I have a fancier setup that is needed since I wanted it to be quiet, too.

3 comments:

James Stoffel said...

I like you dust collector build. Do you happen to have the writeup/dimensions for the sheet metal tubing? And for the center hose piece, how long did you you make; in other words, how long is the piece inside that we don't see?

Thank you for your time, and the articles!
Jim

Nice dust Control industries said...

Great Information About Dust Collector System! Thanks for sharing with us.

We are the leading manufacturer and suppliers of all types of dust collector in India.

Dust Collector Manufacturers In India

Nitendra Singh said...

What a great blog you have written. I must say you are best blogger i have ever seen. Thanks for sharing this informative blog about dust collection system.